Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Over It

Okay, I`m crawling out from under the bed now. Ha ha ha, who the hell did I think I was, Dooce? I gotta keep this all in perspective. I am still a paramecium in the blogging ecosystem -- sure, a slightly bigger one than I thought, but still a single-celled organism, paddling around in my own tiny life.

Let`s stick to my party metaphor -- say, for instance, that I was expecting two dozen people, and instead, five dozen show up. What would I do? I would pop in a DVD for the kids, order a bunch of pizzas and open a few more bottles of wine -- send Hub out to buy more, if necessary. So here we go. Sit down and pour yourselves another glass, all you great people. I will make my way to all of your blogs sooner or later, now that I know where to find you.

Now for some blog business. I`ve received an appeal from rabid Catholic Holy Fool, on behalf of someone named Ron in Mankato, Minnesota, whose blog, A Wing And a Prayer, I do not read. I am in the Catholic cafeteria, and Ron seems like the type of Catholic who would never set foot in there. He has been out of work for a while, and I guess things in his life are getting desperate. Holy Fool writes, "Let slip the Blogs of war! Let's storm heaven with our prayers and storm Ron's need with our support! Will you join us?"

I figure the least I can do here is provide Ron`s link, and people can click it or not, as they wish. What I`ve learned about this whole blogging thing is that you never know who reads what you write. Someone I knew in Tokyo, a woman working for a rival wire service whom I met from time to time at press conferences, just found her way to my site last week. So maybe the next person who reads this site will be an employer in Mankato, Minnesota, who wants nothing more than to hire a devout Catholic guy.

(And Ron, if you come here to see who linked you, here`s a word of advice: do NOT read my blog -- it is NOT the kind of Catholic blog you`d like, okay? Trust me on that.)

Speaking of religion, I have a question for the "barely religious" Mormon who commented yesterday, if he`s still around. Do the Mormons have any equivalent of the Catholic cafeteria -- people who dissent on some of the teachings and yet still consider themselves church members? I`ve wondered that.

Continuing with the non sequiturs, I was also wondering about the person who found my site searching, "microchip in my brain." And now I know.

And to the person who was searching, "what does a 160 pound woman look like," please fuck off, okay?

I will leave you with a haiku written by Big Son yesterday, and let him have the final word here:

I was a dumb boy,
And I tried to be smarter.
I am smarter now.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Uncle Roger said...

I doubt very much that Big Son was EVER a dumb boy. Smarter he is, perhaps, but smart he always was, I'm sure.

11:23 PM  
Blogger jw said...

Great for Big Son.

I found out about Ron's plight from other sites. Even that Catholic B-Team site has his info.

Though I am still unemployed (anybody got any Phoenix jobs?) and I've only got about a month left in savings I sent Ron a healthy gift.

L., I know I sent this to you already but the others might it as fun as I did: The Catholic Nerd Blog at http://catholicnerd.blogspot.com/ Of course, I could not keep my mouth shut so you may find comments where I added corrections.

12:08 AM  
Anonymous David Rees Thomas said...

Mormonism certainly has its cafeteria, only instead of coffee they serve steaming mugs of valium.

But yes, I reckon plenty of Mormons dissent on plenty of points of both doctrine and policy. But my sense, having grown up in the religion (and in Utah, from whence it spurts), is that there’s not a lot of sanctioned room for open questioning. Might have something to do with all those narrowly-defined dos and don’ts, but when it comes to faith the church seems uncomfortable with shades of gray (not a unique quality in a church, I suppose).

There's also the fact that you can't enter the LDS temple without explicitly declaring your faith in a number of key principles before your local bishop. Not a lot of room for the wishy-washies there. So, some cafeterians bite their tongues and go along with the program, while others smile and shrug and figure any lingering doubts will be redressed in time.

Meanwhile, I’m still looking for the tapioca pudding. Shit's tasty.

12:19 AM  
Blogger Granny said...

I'm glad you've decided to crawl out and soldier on. Your devoted following would miss you.

1:50 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

big son rocks!!!
he must get it from his mommy

4:52 AM  
Anonymous Erin said...

LOVE big son's poem!

6:35 AM  
Blogger Justjuliefornow said...

Hi,

Started reading you after the MIM link. Like what you have to say.

Since you read Dooce, check out her post of a couple days ago regarding the tv series Big Love for info on dissenting mormons - there's some in the comments. Also, her husband has posted some interesting stuff on blurbomat.com.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

Good for Big Son, although it's sad that he ever felt dumb- he wasn't dumb, just behind in his new school in a new country. I love how the haiku is written with a hit of happiness and contentment- he must be doing much better in school right now!

9:30 AM  
Blogger VMC said...

L, the term for a "cafeteria" Mormon?

"Jack Mormon."

11:31 AM  
Blogger A Holy Fool said...

L.,

Thanks for posting about Ron's plight! Many bloggers have risen to the occasion, and he's received a lot of help.

"Rabid Catholic"

Really? I was wondering why my shirts were so wet! ;)

6:46 PM  
Blogger A Holy Fool said...

Oh,btw:

"And to the person who was searching, "what does a 160 pound woman look like," please fuck off, okay?"

LOL!

Damn, you have an amazing way with words! ;)

6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home